5 Search Optimization Tips
stand out in the crowdSearch engine optimization, or SEO, is the process of analyzing and updating the content on your website so it ranks higher in a search engine listing. SEO has grown into a science that evolves and changes as rapidly as the search engines. With more websites being created all the time, a good SEO plan is needed to keep up with your competition. Here are a few things to consider when starting a new website or working to improve your current website's search engine ranking.
1. does your CMS incorporate SEO tools and functions into its architecture?Content Management Systems are database driven systems that allow website owners to login and easily edit content on their website. Using a CMS is highly recommended so that you can easily manage your own website. When choosing a Content Management System it is important to pick a system that features SEO tools like inputs for meta information, options to allow or disallow search engine robots on selected pages, automatic creation of an XML sitemap file and a place to embed analytics tracking code.
2. write new and relevant content with SEO in mindOn the internet, relevant content is king. When writing content for your website use keywords in your headings and paragraph text that people would use in a search. Stay away from general keywords like shoe store, where you'll be competing with large international companies like Zappos.com and instead be more specific. For example, Athletic Shoes in Westfield, Massachusetts, adds the location and the store specialty to help set it apart.
3. redirect pages from your old site to your new oneIf you're building a new website make sure that your web developer creates redirects. That way, when search engine robots check pages from your old site (that no longer exist), they will be redirected to corresponding pages on your new site. Redirects aren't just for search engine robots either, they are important for redirecting people that may have bookmarked pages from your old site.
4. XML sitemap submissionAn XML sitemap is a file containing a list pages from your website located on your website server. This file and can be submitted to search engines and tells search engine robots what pages to crawl looking for updates.
5. setup and look at your site analyticsChoose a web developer that sets up an analytics account for your website. This will help to track visits, page views and search terms that people are using to find your website. Google Analytics is free and easy to set up.
To learn more tips, come to our next Coffee Hour:
How to Improve Website Traffic
November 8, 2011 | 8:30 - 10:00am | Stevens 470
register today >